Background

Friday, September 13, 2013

Just Be.

10....
    9....
       8....
          7....
             6....
                5....
                   4....
                      3....
                         2....
                            1....

I feel as though that was a much more suspenseful countdown for me since I had to type it...

Well, I really should've just stopped at 10 because that's how many days I have left in Wisconsin. Then I will be flying 8 hours over an ocean to live in a whole other country for 9 months of my life. Crazy right? I mean, there are definitely people out there that would classify an action like that as certifiably nuts. 

What with all the packing and shopping and all the other prep work I've had to get done, I've been crazy busy. Wait a second, I finished all that like 2 weeks ago. That's right! Here's a tip for all you study abroad goers, if you aren't working right up until leaving or you don't have a lot of other obligations prior to departure, leave your packing and shopping and such until 2 or 3 weeks before. Otherwise you will end up like me. Bored. 

It's not awful being around home a lot. In fact, as I sit and think about it in my multitudes of free time, I'm glad it has worked out like this. It allows me to enjoy my home life and create some little memories with my family. Whether it be hanging out in the garage with my dad working on projects, making runs to home depot together, running errands with my mom, dancing with my little sister, or just sitting around doing nothing, I am truly able to relish in my family's love for me and mine for them. I suppose I have been very reflective lately. It's sad to think I won't be able to hang out in the garage with my dad much longer or run errands with my mom. I will miss acting silly with Elise and being the big sister I love being. It makes life just a little bittersweet. But all in all, I wouldn't change a thing. I actually wait excitedly for my dad and Elise to get home, do idle tasks with my mom happily, and respond to texts from my sister, Mikaela, with lots of enthusiasm. For some people this time would just be too sad, but being the optimist that I am, I cherish this most thoroughly. When a daughter is truly excited about going on errands with a mother that is still technically working, that is a beautiful thing. 

So, if you are anything like me, maybe skip my tip from above and get your to-do list done. Then just be. Happily.

No comments:

Post a Comment