Background

Sunday, August 31, 2014

I'm a Blugold Now

Identities... We all have them, get caught up in them, try to change them, but one thing never changes.  No matter how much you may try, you will always have one. It's impossible to escape and it kind of stinks. What if I do not want to be the quiet one or the outgoing one or the funny one. What if I want to be all three or none of the above? Imagine a world where we all got to choose how everyone perceived us... It would be nice for every to look at me and see someone who enjoys a good competition but also happens to dress nicely. To be looked at as the nice Christian girl that is outgoing, but not labeled, therefore, as a prude. So many times I find myself worrying about how to phrase things so that I do not give away certain facts about myself. Or do you ever catch yourself sort of talking up your own person? "Ya, I work out a lot. Oh I'm a biker, I've ridden in triathlons before. Here's one minute fact about my life that makes me cool and let's leave out the rest..." Why do we do that? It's like an innate need to make ourselves seem cooler.

But here is where it counts. Do you really think God created you to be one thing only? It says in 1 Corinthians 4:7, "For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?" God created each of us different. I have plenty of personality traits in common with family and friends and even strangers. What makes me and my identity unique is the combination of things that I am. I am a Christian. I am loving. I am artistic. I am outgoing. I am a traveler. And my being will always be transient. For now, I am a college student, a Blugold.  And some things I will never get the chance to be again. The youngest child. A kindergartener. A bible school student. Regardless of where I am in life, my identity will always be changing. There may be parts of it that I do not like or may try to hide, but I can find the basis of my identity in Christ. The rest just makes me, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment